Gluten Free Sourdough Bread
FOR THE "STARTER":
Ingredients to Combine:
1 Tbsp. gluten free active dry yeast
1 cup milk at room temperature
1 cup sweet rice flour
1 tsp. sugar
1. In a 1 quart glass jar, dissolve the yeast in the milk by stirring with a wooden spoon. Add the rice flour and sugar; mix well. Cover the jar loosely with a small piece of cheesecloth or other cloth and allow it to sit at room temperature for 2 to 3 hours.
2. The mixture should bubble and develop tiny "craters". It will also likely develop a thin liquid along the top. Stir that back into the mixture. Cover the jar again loosely and allow it to sit out on the counter overnight.
3. Repeat the procedure in Step 2 for the next two days, stirring to combine, loosely covering, and then stirring again the next day, leaving the jar of starter on the counter at room temperature.
4. You will then "feed" the starter and let it grow, then make the bread 4-8 hours later. If you don't plan to use the starter immediately, then place it loosely covered in the refrigerator. You will need to "feed" it before you use it.
FEEDING YOUR STARTER:
The first time you make your bread, you will need to plan at least 4 hours ahead.
1. FIRST TIME ONLY: Remove the starter from refrigerator, uncover it and stir until smooth with a wooden spoon. Remove one cup of the starter and discard it (or you can use to make a second jar of starter). Hereafter, when you bake, you will use the 1 cup and not discard it.
2. FEEDING YOUR STARTER: Add 1/2 cup warm water and 1 cup sweet rice flour to the starter and stir. Allow the starter to sit out at room temperature to grow for at least 4 hours, or overnight, loosely covered. The starter should be bubbling and thick.
3. AFTER THE FIRST TIME: Remove one cup from your refrigerated starter as called for in the recipe below, and then replenish the starter by feeding it again with 1/2 cup warm water and 1 cup sweet rice flour, stirring to combine, cover again loosely and return it to the refrigerator.
3 cups Mom's Best Flour Blend
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. gluten free active yeast
1 cup "fed" sourdough starter
3 tsp. butter, melted and cooled
1 1/2 cups warm milk
Grease 9x5 inch loaf pan. Set aside. In a bowl, mix the flour, cream of tartar, sugar, salt and yeast to combine. Add sourdough starter and butter and mix well. Pour in the milk slowly and beat by hand until thoroughly combined. The dough will be a thick batter and sticky. Scrape the dough into the loaf pan and smooth the top with wet hands. Allow the dough to rise in a warm place until about doubled in size, approx. 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place loaf in oven and bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown on top. Let cool completely before slicing and enjoy!